Saturday, March 5, 2011

Super Duper Good and Easy Breakfast

We LOVE pancakes at our house.  Writing that sentence made me think, "If you love 'em so much, why don't you marry 'em?"  He! He!  Anywho, with a few slices of bacon, it just doesn't get much better.  And what makes this breakfast even better is how fast it is to prepare.  When I mix up a batch of batter, I put it in a recycled ketchup bottle (36 oz.), which is the perfect container for squeezing out the amount of batter I need for each pancake.  Plus, I never use the whole recipe at once, so keeping it this way allows me to store it in the refrigerator for next time.  We like them plain with maple syrup, but sometimes after I squeeze the batter onto the griddle, I sprinkle chocolate chips or berries on each.  Oh, and to give them the ultimate flavor, I rub the griddle with butter before I pour each pancake.  Yummy!  Yummy!  Butter and bacon in the same post.  Enough said.  Here's the recipe.  I hope you try it and like it.  

Disclaimer:  I tend to do my own thing when it comes to recipes, so my descriptions are not textbook.  Most things I eyeball, such as the size of my pancakes and a really hot guy, but that's another post.  And I don't squeeze the hot guys, just the ketchup bottle.  I am married, after all.

Buttermilk Pancakes 

2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
2 tbls sugar
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk (99.9% of the time I use whole milk because I never have buttermilk.)
4 tbls oil
butter for greasing griddle

Preheat and lightly grease a skillet or griddle.  Whisk the dry ingredients together (flour through sugar) and then lightly whisk in the eggs through oil.  I try to make it fairly lump-free so it squeezes out of the bottle easily.  Either squeeze or scoop with a cup whatever you think is a decent-sized pancake (maybe 1/4 cup?) and cook until lightly browned on both sides.

What a really wacky post!  It must be the rain outside.

Happy homesteading,

Candace

No comments:

Post a Comment