Friday, March 18, 2011

Bees, The First Salad and A Good Read

I spoke with our beekeeping mentor earlier today, and he's coming by to get a hive box, top board and bottom board to catch a swarm for us.  I didn't ask him, but I think he's planning to capture a swarm from one of his colonies.  Plus, we should be getting a nuc from him in the next few weeks.  We are excited to get started with our beekeeping education again, because it is indeed a lesson in disappointment, patience, being in the moment, and hopefully, reward.  Here's to a better year in beekeeping.

I decided I couldn't take it anymore.  I am dying for a fresh salad, so I marched myself out to the lettuce bed, which is finally starting to look like something.  I picked enough mixed greens for a VERY small salad for each of us and then proceeded to the radishes and pulled some of those as well.  I think I'll add a few lemon balm leaves, a pinch of fresh thyme, sunflower seeds, chopped boiled eggs and oil and vinegar, which should be enough to slightly resemble a decent salad.   

I don't know where I've been, but I'm finally reading, Farm City, by Novella Carpenter.  She is now my new hero.  I love her humor especially.  I had to call my husband to read him the excerpt about her lesbian chicken, Agnes, who crowed.  It seemed so apropos in light of Vanilli crowing yesterday.  I am so inspired! 

I would love to know who inspires you and why. 

Happy homesteading,

Candace

No comments:

Post a Comment