When I got the rabbits, we converted part of the chicken coop to rabbit housing. The cages are suspended from the ceiling with one above the other with a slanted partition between to channel the poop and urine from the top cage to the ground. It's a fine system for someone taller with longer arms. The top cage is too high for me to reach into effectively and the bottom cage too low. I have a hard time removing the cages to clean them, and I always have to ask for Nate's help. I know he doesn't mind, but the rabbits are my responsibility, and I want to be able to pull my load.
So after doing some research on rabbitries, I came up with a better plan, I hope. We had some privacy fence panels and some hardware cloth and chicken wire, all left over from other projects. I'm so happy when I can use materials already on hand. We used our already existing privacy fence and the two panels to make three walls and then the front wall is covered with hardware cloth for ventilation, lighting and protection from predators. Once we had the structure built, we dug a trench along the interior, stapled chicken wire along the edge, and refilled the trench to prevent predators from digging under. Have you ever had to dig a trench in Georgia red clay? Let me tell ya, it ain't easy! Digging a trench in mostly clay is an upper body workout for sure! We still need to cover the roof with tar paper, decide on roofing material, and move the rabbits, but we are on the home stretch of this project.
Now I can put the cages side by side at a height good for me. I will have room for expansion should I decide to take the plunge and get meat rabbits and/or get another angora doe for breeding and wool. I'm also thinking of setting up some worm bins beneath the cages for composting. I love the possibilities.
Here's a picture of the rabbitry so far.
After a frustrating day, Nate went to collect the eggs. When he came back inside, he said he was ready for Easter.
Dan's Workshop: Making the Bents
2 days ago