Thursday, April 14, 2011

Blackberry Sherbet

We love ice cream at our house, and we especially love homemade ice cream, but I hate how time consuming it is to make.  I like simple recipes that are quick yet delicious.  I don't have time to stand over a saucepan and heat the half and half and egg yolks until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.  So I went looking for a recipe that would take the hassle out of making ice cream, and I found it.  It's not ice cream but a fruit sherbet recipe.  It contains cream and milk, close enough for me.

I modified the original recipe, and this is what I did.

2 cups blackberries (I used frozen.)
2/3 cups sugar (The original recipe called for 2 cups.  Yikes!  That's alot of sugar.)
2 cups whole milk (or sweet milk if you want to be old-fashioned)
1 cup heavy cream

Mix the blackberries and sugar in a saucepan and heat until sugar is dissolved.  Cool completely and stir in the milk and cream.  Get this mixture as cold as possible!  I don't have any patience and should have chilled mine longer.  Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions.

Next time I may steep some crushed mint leaves in the blackberry/sugar mixture or change up the fruit.  I have some pureed figs in the freezer that would be heavenly in this recipe.

Please let me know if you make this and how you like it!

Happy homesteading,

Candace

No comments:

Post a Comment