Tuesday, December 28, 2010

i be jammin'



Today, I canned some triple berry jam to utilize some fruit that partially defrosted when our refrigerator went bust a few days ago. Waste not; want not and a great way to make lemonade out of our old refrigerator, I mean lemons. Oh, our old refrigerator was a lemon. Canning this jam has been on my list anyway, but I put it off for other things and to save heating up the kitchen in the middle of summer. Today was the first time I've used the low-sugar pectin, and I really like it. The jam is just sweet enough, and I feel much better about the quantity of sugar used.

I have to say I've been loving some pepper jelly on biscuits in the morning, but this will be a great change up.

What's your favorite jam/jelly?

Happy homesteading,


Candace

2 comments:

  1. Candace - that jam looks fantastic! Daniel and I tried several varieties this summer, and I'd have to say the peach jam was the best. Absolutely the best jam I've ever tasted in my life. We have a wonderful apple/peach orchard/farmer's market here. I was skeptical about PA peaches, but they tasted just like GA peaches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carrie! I would love to taste your peach jam. If you have any left the next time you're in town, bring a jar! Or maybe we can exchange jams. I have brandied fig, triple berry, and pepper right now.

    ReplyDelete