Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Freak Out

So, this morning, I went out to check on the kits, and I could only find two in the nest box.  I saw a small drop of blood in the hay and started to panic.  As crazy as it sounds, I thought Olivia had eaten one of her babies.  I know mother rabbits will eat their babies, but to my knowledge, that happens shortly after birth.  It was an irrational thought because they will be two weeks old on Thursday, their eyes are open, and they are fat and healthy babies.  My irrationality came from the night before.  Normally I pluck Olivia and not shear her, but she made such a mess of her wool while lining the nest, I had no choice.  Plus, it's getting really hot fast, and I knew she would be more comfortable if I relieved her of her wool.  So, I plucked most of it and sheared her down.  Fast forward to this morning and my panic-induced conclusion was that she was so shocked at being sheared, she ate one of her babies.  I know it makes no sense because she is used to being plucked, and though I've never sheared her since I got her, I'm sure she's been sheared in her life.  And she behaved perfectly normal last night; she didn't act traumatized.  If anything, she probably felt cooler and better.  But what else could I think?  There were no signs of a predator attack, but that little drop of blood threw me for a loop.  I pulled the nest box out of the cage and searched it top to bottom and front to back.  The missing baby was definitely not on the cage floor, and I knew it just didn't spontaneously cumbust.  Just before going into full panic mode, I saw the hay in her bowl slightly move.  The baby had somehow crawled out of the nest box, into the hay bowl and was burrowed at the bottom beneath the hay.  I have no idea how it got itself into that bowl.  The bowl has really high sides and while the kits are starting to move around, I marvel at this one's ability to hoist itself up over the rim of the bowl.  In hindsight, I don't know why I ever thought such a thing could happen.  How could a mother eat her baby and only leave one small hint of blood?  She would have to be pretty adept at it, and to my knowledge Olivia doesn't even have that history in her background.  I apologized profusely to Olivia and begged her forgiveness for thinking she ate her baby.  I then proceeded to go inside and put a shot of whiskey in my coffee.  Just joking, but it did cross my mind. 

To make myself feel like less of a freak, please tell me you've had an irrational thought or two about your animals. 

By the way, I have two ruby-eyed whites and either a blue tort or a lilac tort.  I'll post pictures in a few days.     

14 comments:

  1. I would have freaked out to. I decided tonight that I wish I could speak animal because they are crazy sometimes!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After having cats for 18 years, I can definitely speak their language, but rabbits never make a noise, so it's impossible for me to figure them out!

      Delete
  2. Could Olivia have put her baby in that bowl for some reason?? It does sound too strange to think the bunny could have gotten there by his/herself!

    P.S. So what was the blood from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if rabbits pick up their babies and carry them like cats do. The only other way I imagine it got in there was if the bowl was beside the nest box, and it crawled out of the box and fell into the bowl. She knocks her bowl around the cage, so that scenario is a possibility. I can't figure out where the blood came from unless one of the babies drew blood from Olivia's nipple. They already have teeth. I had just changed the hay the day before, so the blood was fresh.

      Delete
  3. Hi there! I found you through 5 acres and am super happy i did. i dont have bunnies on the contrary i am trying to keep them out of yard, my garden and at times feel like Mr McGregor and Peter Rabbit, but i do have chicks and have to say i have had a couple freak out moments. Laughed out loud when i read "proceeded to go inside and put a shot of whiskey in my coffee. Just joking," Hilarious. Glad everything worked out, enjoyed my visit here, best wishes Jen www.aviewfromabrowndog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! Though we live in a neighborhood in town, we often see wild animals behind our house because we live very close to a canal, a small lake, and a river. I have seen a wild rabbit a few times in my neighbor's yard, and I'm surprised it hasn't found its way to my garden. I'm glad you stopped by and that I could make you laugh!

      Delete
  4. You are not alone! I have had more than one (hundred) irrational fears that ended up with logical explanations. It's just that there is that burden that comes with animal stewardship that sometimes pushes us over the edge. I have, on a few occasions, put a shot of whiskey in my coffee - once the sun was over the yardarm, that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one! I don't mind a hit of whiskey in my coffee either, just maybe not first thing in the morning. Of course, it would make for a more interesting day, I'm sure.

      Delete
  5. I have thoughts like that about my animals fairly often. I think it's pretty normal since we have no way of communicating with them and therefore no way of predicting how they think/will react to things.

    Also, I love blue torts! I've never had angoras, but I had a blue tort show up in one of my holland lop litters and he was absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a lilac tort in my last litter, and she was adorable. I love the two tone color aspect like you're getting two bunnies in one.

      Delete
  6. That's the kind of mystery that would drive anybody nuts. Fortunately, all's well that ends well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Candace, that was hilarious - I am so glad things turned out fine, but I can definitely relate to those "freak out"moments. Especially after all the time, effort, and energy you've put into the care of your rabbits. Glad you have such a sense of humor and share that with your readers. I'm also looking forward to seeing how your new beds work out. I know it is a busy time of year! Keep posting! :) Carrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carrie! Please keep me posted on your garden this year!

      Delete