Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Yippee!

There was no rest for the weary this weekend.  Earlier this spring, we had seven trees taken down in my neighbor's yard.  Six of them were hardwoods, so we had the tree service leave them and only take the pine.  What they left was stacked fairly neatly along the retaining wall that runs between our yards.  Compared to the mess that is our neighbor's yard, they really didn't make it look any worse or any better.  We have been making an effort to tackle this pile of trees along with all of our other projects, but we had not made it a priority, mainly because our neighbor really didn't care when we did it and it seemed so overwhelming that knocking away at it piece by piece seemed the best strategy for us.  Well, the city cares.  Based on a call about another yard, a city employee was driving down our street and noticed the felled trees.  He knocked on my neighbor's door and told him he needed to clean up his yard, especially the backyard, which was overrun with poison ivy.  He also told him he needed to make some progress on the trees.  Our neighbor then received a letter giving him 10 days to get the job done. 

Not getting this project finished has really been bothering me.  I don't like to leave things undone.  So, I'm glad the city set a time limit for us; otherwise, we would have continued knocking away little bits of it and not making it the priority it should be.  So, this weekend, we tackled the remaining trees and got them all cut up and moved to our wood pile.  Our neighbor's yard looks much better as I knew it would, and I feel relief at having this project no longer hanging over my head.

When we started working yesterday, we knew we had probably a full day's work ahead of us.  The trees has all been cut to length for splitting, but we knew we still had to load the truck several times, pull into our driveway, and wheelbarrow this wood to the wood pile.  I had already filled and wheelbarrowed two truck loads of wood the day before while Nate was at work.  Our neighbor had told us someone was coming to take care of the yard, and as we were beginning work, the yard guy and his son pulled up.  He had been hired to take care of the front and back yards and been told to work around the wood.  While we were loading wood, we overheard him talking to our neighbor about the poison ivy and Roundup.  My heart skipped a beat.  Nate went over and told him we had honeybees and that we really didn't want him using Roundup.  Of course, we can't control what our neighbor does, and he would not back down on the use of Roundup.  This started a conversation with the yard guy about our bees and our urban farm.  They both took a tour of the place and offered to help us with the rest of the wood.  They didn't ask for any payment for helping, but Nate helped with the yard and I sent them home with some jams and honey.  After they finished, the man told me he sparingly used the Roundup and if he saw any type of flower in an area where he was spraying, he pinched it off just in case a bee might want to visit it.  I know he was being paid to spray Roundup, but I certainly appreciate the extra care he took to minimize any damage that might result.  He certainly wasn't obligated to us to take any special care. 

At one point, when his son was looking at the chickens and rabbits, he said, "Y'all are old-fashioned."  I smiled and said, "We are old-fashioned, and we like it that way."  I could tell he said it in awe and not like we were strange.  At one point, he also said our house and yard are his mother's dream.  We have a very humble house by most standards, but that comment made me feel blessed in so many ways. 

So, what to us looked to be a weekend worth of heavy labor ended up being laced with neighborly support and consideration.  They live in the neighborhood next to ours and know our across-the-street neighbor, so in our world, they are neighbors.  The best part is the project is DONE!  CROSS IT OFF MY LIST! 

Happy homesteading,

Candace

10 comments:

  1. It must feel SO good to have that wood working job done! I work best myself with some kind of a deadline so I understand how you felt about getting yours regarding the wood.

    Kudos to the father and son who would listen to you about the bees and be understanding. It frustrates me so much when people refuse to see how detrimental poisonous sprays and such are to not only animals and insects but to human beings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels fabulous! It was a big project for us that will now free up some time for other things. I'm glad we overheard the conversation and spoke up. We couldn't keep it from happening, but hopefully we minimized the use a little and made them more aware for the future.

      Delete
  2. Woot Woot... congrats on checking the wood pile off your "to do" list. I love how this post ended for you "old fashion" (smiling) and the lower use of toxins.

    I wish everyone would be a bit "old fashion" and open to reducing the use of chemicals. Roundup is incredibly dangerous and damaging many of our crops in this country and is thought to be a contributor to CCS in bees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to educate my neighbors but they are going to do what they please ultimately, and since bees forage at a several mile radius, I can only hope they don't really find trouble in someone's yard.

      Delete
  3. i forgot to mention how much i like your new header too, love those full jars :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you. That photo was taken last July when my peach tree was blessing us with a bumper crop. That was a batch of Peach Tomato Salsa and Peach Cardamom Jam. The salsa is LONG gone, but I have one jar of the jam left. Hopefully, if the squirrels don't have their way, we'll get a good peach harvest again this year.

      Delete
  4. Wow! Just read your entire blog, and am sad that im done! I finished Leighs about a week or so ago! I love what you are doing!! Keep the posts coming. You are so inspiring. How do you have the energy after working full time??? I only wish I had the energy!! Im a stay at home mom and am pregnant with my third. All my NON gardening friends thought I was crazy to tackle a large garden for my first time while pregnant (due end of aug). This is my first year to start everything from seed!!! So far not doing so well :( And gardening is harder work with a big old belly!! haha! Well thanks for all your posts. I have learned sooooooo much. Also you help me to keep things in perspective, and keep me positive knowing that my failures are only bringing me closer to my successes!!!! Take care! Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe you read my whole blog. Wow, thanks, and welcome! Being a mom is full-time work, and I commend you. I don't know if I would have the energy if I had kids. Keep your eye on the prize, even if you lose some battles along the way, and ignore the naysayers. Also, everything I've done has taken several years. It doesn't happen overnight, and nothing ever comes out like you expect. You just have to roll with the punches. It has also taken me a few years to succeed with seed starting. I do what I can and buy transplants for the rest. So, good luck with your garden, even if you have to use transplants. At least you are growing something for yourself and your family.

      Delete
  5. You should have told him urban homesteading is the latest new-fashioned! Really, it's amazing how many folks don't understand and think we're all trying to go primitive, LOL. It's so wonderful about the wood. Big job but so worth it. It is a concern about the honey bees and roundup. Nobody seems to get that if we kill off all our bees, food won't get pollinated and we'll all be in a world of hurtin'. Sounds like you all did perfect in the public relations department.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The public relations I leave to my husband. I tend to have a hot-head and mouth on me, so that's why I sent him over to talk first. He's the peacemaker, and I'm the hell-raiser. That wood will heat our house for years, so we are grateful to have it, even though the front-end labor involved was intense.

      Delete