Last year, I didn't really set any goals, but I had an idea in mind of what I wanted to achieve. This year, I want to make a list to guide me through the year. I'm sure this list will evolve as the year progresses, but I'm happy to have a place to start.
- Now that we have a designated area for the animals, continue to improve that area. The first project is a new rabbitry.
- Continue improving the wood splitting and stacking area, including proper wood racks for the split wood.
- Now that we have a designated wood area, continue splitting and stacking the wood from the trees we took down in the spring.
- Take down more trees in my eastern neighbor's yard. His lot is seriously wooded with 50+ year old trees. They block the sun to my backyard until around 1:00-2:00 in the afternoon. I miss all of the morning sun.
- Expand my garden beds once trees are removed.
- Start an espalier or mini fruit orchard once trees are removed.
- Implement some cold frames once beds are established.
- Breed the meat rabbits and produce the first meat for the homestead.
- Split the bee hive into two and finally harvest some honey.
- Consider insulation options for the attic and possibly implement something better than what we have.
- Improve my compost system, including introduction of vermicomposting.
- Increase my canning and drying provisions for the year in volume and variety. Decrease dependence on the freezer.
- Continue to work toward better succession planting.
- Use the solar oven more. I think this can be better accomplished once some trees are removed.
- Improve my seed saving skills.
What are some of your goals for 2012?
Dan's Workshop: Making the Bents
2 days ago