Saturday, January 1, 2011

Odds and Ends and a Wonderful Husband

Okay, here's the deal. I decided I wanted to track what we produce this year, and the best way to keep myself on task is to make myself accountable to someone. That someone is you. Hence, the Harvest Tally on the right. I'm sure updating the tally won't be daily, so I've devised a key that will help me tell when I last updated: Month (day of month): total for month. So, for January so far, it's January (1): 2 eggs. As I start to bring in produce, I plan to weigh it and post this as well.

We did some reconfiguring to the coop today and finally got rid of the floor boards and poop boards. I hated the poop boards, and the coop always looked dirty to me. Now I can throw down some bedding, rake and shovel when necessary, and practice the deep litter method. We also moved the nest box and reworked the roost to make it easier for Pearl to get on it. When you have a special needs chicken, you have to consider everything from her perspective.

We picked up shelving materials yesterday for the greenhouse. I am so excited to have it up and running, and the shelving will make things so much easier. I've already started some seeds in it. Various varieties of lettuce, broccoli, brussels sprouts and dwarf pak choy are on the way. I'm not the best with starting from seed, but I keep trying and am hoping the greenhouse environment will give me a leg up.

Lastly I wanted to say what a wonderful husband I have! He is patient, understanding, supportive, witty, appreciative, uber talented, loving, and overall, just a fabulous guy! My honey-do list never ends, and he is always willing to pitch a hand.

I have grand plans for 2011, so hang onto the oh-shit handle, this ride might be bumpy.

Until next post, happy homesteading,


Candace

No comments:

Post a Comment